Friday, July 13, 2012

Reflections 1

Dear Quinn,

You will be a year old in one week from today.  It's crazy to think that this time last year you were still inside of me, not quite ready to come out.  I was half a week over due at this point.  Daddy and I were going to every movie that was in the theater and going out to eat a lot to try to keep our mind off waiting.  The weekend before you were born I remember dancing around the house to "Jesus Christ Superstar" on vinyl with Daddy and Aunt Chrissy, in hopes that I would go into labor.  It seems like a lifetime ago.

Last night I gave you a bath and then sat back and just watched you play for about 25 minutes.  You are magnificent.   Children have so much to teach the world about joy and simple raw emotions.  You were so engaged in playing with the rubber ducks and the water.  When you finally looked up at me and handed me a duck, I placed him on my head and you erupted into giggles and pointing, trying to reach it and grab it off my head, just to hand it back to me to do it again.  That reminds me of a sermon at church not too long ago.  Isaac talked about "wonder" and about the child-like spirit.  He talked about the young child's favorite phrase "do it again" over and over, not bored by repetition but delighting in it.  Could it be that when it comes to the natural world God is more child-like, commanding the sun each morning to rise saying 'do it again', where we grown up people are not strong enough to exalt in monotony.  The Isaac quoted: " 'For we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger then we.'  In other words for you and I to become apathetic at something that is essentially a miracle, even if that miracle is repeated over and over again, it's not a sign of maturity, it is a sign of weakness."

Quinn, watching you delight in the world gives me new eyes to see the wonder and majesty of God's world.  If I can slow down and pause and listen and see.  Why is this so hard?  Because I am weak, I am filled with a "need" to be busy, entertained, always moving.  But oh the sweetness and connection I can have with you and with our Lord when I just stop and listen and see.  Thank you for helping me with this my sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment