Saturday, July 30, 2011

1 week and 3 days!

I wrote this yesterday:

Well, it's hard to type with one hand, but I'm sure I will get better at it :)  As I sit here Quinn is resting against my chest. She just got done eating and is happy and sleepy.  There is so much I want to write and so many pics to post but there is so little time and energy.  It's been a crazy week for sure.  Many joys and challenges.  My hormones are going crazy so they tell me, as well as my body changing, healing, adjusting- this all causes my emotions to be out of whack.  I am SO glad that i have so many friends that have been in this place who are supportive and have reached out to me to tell me that this is normal and okay, who have sat with me for hours or watched Quinn and made me go take a nap.  Or who have emailed or facebooked me with encouragement.  I am so in love with this little girl.  Today is a good day.  I feel good.  Breastfeeding has been a challenge.  It has been painful, it has been frustrating for both Quinn and I.  But we are working hard to learn together.  Sometimes she is nursing and I am crying because it hurts but it hurts even worse to take her off and have her re-latch- plus I hate to hear her cry in protest if we've done this several times already.  But sometimes it is so beautiful and amazing, sometimes it doesn't hurt and I think "This is going to be worth it, we are going to get this."

More on the good stuff:  Quinn is such a WONDERFUL baby.  She hardly ever cries (so far), she has such amazing personality already- she makes the funniest faces and noise, esp. when she is waking up.  I know that she is my child and so I think she is amazing but I was seriously preparing myself to have a weird looking newborn who was fairly boring- but she is just the most adorable creature.  I still can not comprehend that this child was in my belly just over a week ago and that the Lord made her from Jeff and I.  Speaking of my wonderful husband, he is so in love with this little girl.  He is doing such a great job with her.  He changes her diapers and holds her so gently, he is already so protective of her- even scolding me if I pick her up to quickly or squirt her vitamins in her mouth too fast.  He loves to hold her in his lap, and watch her faces, and let her suck on his finger, and listen to her farty poops :)  (She has lots of farty poops on daddy and right after we put her in a fresh, clean diaper.)  We gave her her first bath on Tuesday (her 1 week birthday) and she didn't cry at all, didn't seem bothered by it, just looked around and made funny faces.  When she does cry she lets out a tiny little hawk-like squeak or a short burst of a hoarse sounding cry that breaks you heart- then she is pretty easy to console, usually just wanting mommy's milk.  She has also been sleeping pretty well at night- I mean I am up every couple hours to feed her but then she usually goes back to sleep.  Jeff has been so great at night too, he will get up and change her to help wake her up while I get myself ready to nurse her.  I try to wake him up less now since he is working, but if I need him he doesn't complain.

Now for Quinn's nicknames:  the top two we use are Quinny Bear and Little Birdy.  I started calling her Little Birdy because when she is waking up she stretches her arms and stretches her neck up and puckers her lips together like a little birdy looking for food- and because she doesn't open her mouth wide enough to feed (which is part of our problem of painful latching on) so I say "Come on Little Birdy, open your mouth wide for me."

Quinn gets hiccups a lot, has a lot of farty poops, breathes weird sometimes (but I read that that is normal?).  She has big feet and long fingers.  She kicks like crazy, just like when she was in my stomach, which is good because Grandpa Bill already bought her two soccer balls.  :)







No comments:

Post a Comment