Monday, March 7, 2011

Tap Dancing and Bubbles

Today the most amazing thing happened.  It started with the feeling of bubbles popping inside my stomach while I was making copies of reading logs.  I  thought that I was feeling my baby girl moving, but I didn't want to get my hopes up, so I made a conscience effort to pay very close attention to these feelings.  They happened sporadically throughout the day.  I called Jeff to tell him that I though I could feel her but he didn't answer the phone.  After the kids left for the day I was sitting at my computer when I knew for sure I felt her.  She was kicking over and over in the same spot.  I stopped what I was doing and put my hand on my stomach.  I could feel her!!  I could feel the tapping on the palm of my hand.  I called Jeff with tears in my eyes to tell him.  Jeff was amazed and excited and told me to keep her going so he could feel her when he got home from work.  As I was on the phone with him I pulled up my shirt and watched and could actually see the little taps pushing out my skin.  

This is the most incredible thing I have ever felt.  What a blessing that I get to experience my baby in this way.  To see her grow, to feel her move . . . I don't deserve this kind of grace and goodness.


When Jeff got home we took the dogs for a walk.  After we got back I sat down for a while and I started feeling her again.  I lifted up my shirt to watch and yelled to Jeff.  He was amazed- we could see the movements! He gently put his hand on my stomach to feel her taps.  We sat for a moment in the quiet, me teary-eyed and him eyes wide, mouth open in awe.


I am a nest.
Round, warm
moist
protective
nourishing
hatching
and growing
a young life.
Providing comfort
security, love
and shelter.
To you I give of me
and you
miraculous little one
are already able to give so much to us.
Tonight we sit
laughing as you
tell us jokes with your
kicks and prods.
Your movement has changed from butterflies to Luna moths
and now to kicks that Papa can feel, too.
Our faces spread into smiles as my belly and our hands
feel your presence.
We are a family.
 (poem from Mothering Magazine, no author listed)

No comments:

Post a Comment