Thursday, November 11, 2010

Midwife

I won't be opening this blog back up to "the public" until we have had a chance to tell all of our family about me being pregnant.  But I do want to continue to record the events of the past week and so forth.

Tuesday I called and made my first prenatal appointment with the midwives for Research Medical Center!  My appointment is November 30.  I am really excited to use a midwife and hopefully have a natural birth, meaning no drugs.  In fact, my hope is to have a water birth.  I've seen a few and they look the most comfortable for me and the baby.  But I have plenty of time to continue my research.  Whatever the birth looks like, I am lucky that there is a hospital (Research Medical) that allows and promotes these options.  Our families can rest easy knowing that there are doctors nearby if needed, but hopefully I will be able to have as little interventions as possible.  If you are unfamiliar with the reasons for choosing natural births, home births, using a midwife, etc.  and the controversy around the current maternity care system, please watch a documentary called "The Business of Being Born".  It is very interesting and eye opening.  thebusinessofbeingborn.com
We actually rented it from the library and it is also on Netflix.
Also, here are two books that I have read on the subject:  
Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block
Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

Here is a link to Research Medical Center:
researchmedicalcenter.com

Here is a link about water birth:
americanpregnancy.org

No comments:

Post a Comment